Monday 12 October 2015

A Thought on Fear

I lie,  and tell you I'm not scared, you lie and tell me you're not either, and we lock ourselves into the lines we've drawn in the sand and pull the covers over our heads, and the world moves on without us and our secret fears pound on the door, and we lose our grip on reality, lose touch, and grow to silently resent each other for not being the people we pretended to be.

I tell you I'm afraid, you tell me not to be, and I don't feel much better but I trust you to protect me and you try, but you grow anxious wondering if you're good enough, strong enough, brave enough for a job no one can possibly do, and when you disappoint me I grow angry and make you feel small, a fleeting attempt to make myself feel bigger, better, stronger than I am.

I tell you I'm afraid, you tell me you're afraid as well.  You understand.  We share our thoughts, our spectres, our demons, and though what scares us doesn't go away, life seems easier to swallow, in this moment our world is just a slight less lonely, and with nothing to prove we can carry on, a light for each other in the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment