Saturday 21 March 2015

On The Elusive Insidious Intentions of Foliage

In one of my mother’s earlier attempts at feminizing me she gave me a spider plant.  I took it gladly, thinking that greenery might help ward off the Seasonal Affective Disorder that haunts me from October to March each year.  Stab the Frost of Winter’s space in my psyche with mementos of spring and life and colour and such.  It didn’t work, but that’s a different story. 

I wasn’t sure this small, innocent plant would survive in my care.  I’m not a gardener, not a plant person.  Watering plants is the thing I forget for weeks at a time.  I’ve been surrounded by women in the height of summer, in endless lineups (again, another story), talking to each other about their backyard gardens, and I just couldn’t understand.  My grandmother spent much of her later life bent over in her garden, preening, weeding, harvesting, and when she lost the ability to keep up with it, it became overgrown, fruits and berries gushing out of everything, rotting, mushing beneath her feet.  How do people devote so much time to gardens? Plants are so high maintenance!  And these people live on a constant ongoing mission to improve and expand them.  At what point is enough, enough?  How does anyone find time to just sit in the garden and enjoy the beauty they’ve brought about?  It’s not me.  It’s never been me.  I asked my boyfriends to never bring me flowers, and I married the one who never tried.  There was good reason to believe a plant in my care was doomed. 

But here I have this spider plant.  Every so often it decides to take another run at life and gets all green and leafy.  I thought I was failing for letting the soil get so dry between waterings, but the Internet people told me spider plants like to let their soil get uncomfortably dry.  My spider plant, it seems, is “happy.”

A lot of internet people really take their spider plants seriously.

We all need hobbies.

My living history with foliage thickened when a friend gave me an aloe plant as a token of humanitarian aid in my ongoing war with the kitchen.  The kitchen is full of sharp falling objects, hot metal, grease spitting out of pans, and I learned the hard way that my skin is categorically not impervious to boiling water.  The gifted aloe plant was a much appreciated gift of mercy, and I have butchered it on several occasions (the war wages on), and it just keeps growing.  I’m no better at caring for this aloe than I am for the spider plant.  This thing keeps its own water.  Keeps growing, snaking its tentacles into any open space it can find.
I don’t quite trust my two plants.  They’ve proven that they don’t need me, and yet out of sympathy for life I try to keep them “happy,” like a forced prostration to my wicked wives. 

I’m not the greatest wife, myself.  I must be doing it wrong.

And then these two insidious creatures have gone and created their own progeny!  My one spider plant is now two, and my one aloe plant has become an overpopulated colony in the midst of a civil war for livingspace on my windowsill.  I used to believe immaculate conception was a lovely fairy tale giving us a nice Christian reason to brighten up our homes, drink a lot of sherry, spoil our kids and gain 15 lbs over the darkest month of the year.  Now I’m searching the green thumb version of mommy-blogs trying to do right by all these plant babies!  I’m spending money I don’t have on pots and soil hoping it’s the right size, the right kind, trying to keep them “happy!”  And they just keep breeding!

How long until each surface of my home is spilling leaves and inviting insects and turning my one-bedroom apartment into a humid pod overrun by creepy shadow casters?  How long until some well-meaning soul gifts me an orchid that requires actual sentimentality, company and conversation?  How much longer can I get by without owning a vase, or calling a house sitter every time I leave it to water my plants?

I’m becoming progressively ensnared by a sadistic kitchen to my left and a swampy greenhouse to my right!

I guess what I’m saying is: please send help!



No comments:

Post a Comment